Online Master of Science in Nursing – Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Program
*Please visit our program offerings by state page to see whether the MSN-PMHNP program is available in your area.
Become an MSN-Prepared Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Marymount University’s online MSN-PMHNP degree program equips you with the knowledge and skills to become an advanced practice psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner through a strongly focused curriculum based on ethics and evidence-based care. Coursework in the online MSN program is 100% remote, yet with the residency experience on Marymount’s campus in the Washington, D.C. area, you’ll benefit from a global perspective that empowers you to make a difference as a nurse practitioner locally, nationally, and internationally.
This program is flexible, so you can continue to work while advancing your career. In addition to online coursework, you will also complete one on-campus residency and 750 clinical hours.
In just over two years, you can graduate fully prepared for the AANP or ANCC PMHNP certification exam and start your career as a compassionate MSN psychiatric mental health practitioner caring for patients with mental health disorders or substance abuse problems across the lifespan.
Program Features | Admissions Requirements | Clinical Placement | Curriculum | FAQs
Earn Your MSN-FNP Degree Online. Advance Your Education While You Work.
Marymount’s CCNE-accredited online MSN-FNP degree program equips students with the knowledge and skills needed to become a licensed family nurse practitioner, using a curriculum that is strongly focused on ethics and evidence-informed care. Designed for BSN-prepared nurses, the MSN-FNP coursework is 100% online so you can continue to work while advancing your education.
In just over two years, you can graduate fully prepared to sit for the AANP or ANCC FNP certification exam and start your career as a compassionate primary care provider for individuals and families across the lifespan.
Program Features At a Glance
- Total Credit Hours: 48
- Total Clinical Hours: 750
- No GRE/GMAT required
- Clinical Placement Services are offered free of charge
- On-campus residency connects you with your peers and instructors
- Recognized as a College of Distinction for Nursing
- Regionally ranked by U.S. News & World Report
- Note: Our online PMHNP program is only offered on a part-time basis.
- BSN from a regionally accredited institution with a 3.0 GPA
- RN license (unencumbered)
- One (1) year of full-time experience as a practicing professional nurse by the first day of class
"I would absolutely recommend Marymount University to someone considering a nursing degree. The personal attention you receive is unmatched."
- Angeline Thomas
Specialize in Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing as a PMHNP
Marymount’s online PMHNP program centers around holistic, compassionate care and patient advocacy. After completing this program, you will apply the advanced knowledge and critical thinking skills needed to provide evidence-based mental and behavioral health care for patients of all ages, considering their families, communities, and socioeconomic status. You will also be able to:
- Explain the basic principles of pharmacology and pharmacotherapeutics related to psychopharmacological therapeutic agents, including classes, mechanisms of action, and symptoms of adverse drug reactions.
- Explore the individual and family’s health beliefs to create an individualized, holistic, and evidence-based plan of care to promote optimal outcomes.
- Discuss pertinent ethical-legal issues, cultural considerations, and bias when prescribing psychopharmacological therapeutic agents across the lifespan.
- Distinguish differential diagnoses and propose an evidence-informed care plan for common psychiatric or mental health complaints.
- Develop communication strategies with individuals, families, and the interdisciplinary team to promote optimal health outcomes.
- Assume increasing responsibility and accountability as a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner in providing quality care within the legal scope of practice.
Expert Faculty, Unmatched Student Support
Our highly engaged faculty sees each student as an individual. You’ll learn from practicing PMHNPs who are experts in their field as you translate theoretical knowledge from the sciences and humanities into delivering advanced nursing care to diverse populations. You’ll benefit from access to a dedicated Student Success Advisor, who will work with you to ensure you have the resources you need to complete your degree.